Ten Things You Need to Know About Asbestos Claims and Workplace Newfoundland and Labrador
- If you worked at any time in a Province other that Newfoundland and Labrador, you must elect where to receive benefits, should your claim be approved. This election cannot be changed even if the jurisdiction you choose denies benefits.
- If you are diagnosed with mesothelioma after you retire, no monthly benefits are paid as monthly benefits are based on pre-disability earnings.
- If you are working at the time of diagnosis, and over 63 years of age, a maximum of two years wage loss benefits are payable, even if you intended to work for many more years.
- There is no separate payment for pain and suffering.
- You may be entitled to a permanent functional impairment (PFI) lump sum payment after assessment by a specialist following the American Medical Association Impairment guidelines. The minimum PFI paid is $1,000 and the maximum for 2019 is $65,600 before application of the payment percentage based on total disability.
- If you need to attend medical appointments outside of your hometown or city, WorkplaceNL will reimburse bus fare only. If there is no public transport in your area, WorkplaceNL will reimburse your mileage expense at the rate of 31.5¢ per kilometer to reach the neared bus line stop, and bus fare from that location to the address of your medical appointment.
- There is a meal allowance only if your medically necessary trip requires travel of over 200 kilometers return.
- There are minimal reimbursement levels for overnight accommodation and the expense must be pre-approved.
- The maximum funeral expense that WorkplaceNL will cover if your death is deemed to be as a result of an occupation disease is $5,000.
- Medical treatment which you may require must be approved by WorkplaceNL as being “reasonable and necessary” before treatment can be commenced. This means that your doctor must consult with WorkplaceNL, not you.
Before you sign a workers’ compensation claim application, you need to consider if application to NL workers compensation is the right choice for you and your family. Your doctors may not be aware that there is another option if your exposure occurred before 1982. Contact us to learn about details that you need to take into consideration.