We have moved our office, please see here

Group Picture of the Brown Law Office
Experience. Dedication. Results GET A FREE CONSULTATION


At Brown Law we have a combined total of 50 years of experience in handling cases dealing with Asbestos, Personal Injury, including motor vehicle accidents and falls, Disability Claims, Property Losses, Insurance Disputes, Civil Disputes and Wills & Estates.   


If you have been diagnosed with Mesothelioma or other asbestos related disease you have a right to compensation. The more serious the disease the greater the need to contact us at an early stage before the actions of your doctors or union representative push you into the Workers Compensation system. The decision to claim compensation from the workers compensation board is not wrong, if it is what you are comfortable with and it is your choice. It is our goal to present you with your options so that you make the right choice for you and your family. While our office is physically located in Whitby, Ontario, (Greater Toronto Area) we are not limited to business hours or office location. Most asbestos clients never come to the office as we go to them. 

Although the injured person is our client, we are aware that the decision of how to proceed is usually made in consultation with a spouse and children. It is perfectly acceptable to arrange for members of your family to speak with us, or meet with us so they have sufficient information to assist you with your decision and your claims.   Being diagnosed with Mesothelioma is hard enough; let it be our role to make the claims process as unobtrusive as possible.  

It is estimated that only one in three people with valid asbestos claims in Canada actually apply for any form of compensation.  Don't let yourself or someone you love fall into the category that do not know their rights.  In many cases the money has been set aside for victims by the at fault product manufacturers and knowing where and how to apply is the experience we bring to the table. 

Personal Injury Claims

A personal injury claim arises when a person has been injured (damaged) by reason of the actions or inactions of another person (negligence). Both negligence and damages must occur before a personal injury claim may be brought. Many common injuries are actionable because they should not have occurred but for the actions of a individual or corporation.

A good example is a fall on a set of stairs in a public building that has steps at rise height above the acceptable standard. When that fall causes a concussion and the injured person is unable to work, damages, combined with negligence on the part of the building owner, a personal injury claim should be considered. Most cases are not so simple but if you have been injured in any type of incident that has caused you pain and suffering our Whitby Personal Injury Lawyer is here to help you.

Motor vehicle crashes, boating accidents, slips and falls are all personal injury claims covered and governed by different legislation that set out what standards of care are required on behalf of the operator and/or owner.  At Brown Law we keep up to date with changing legislation with regular continuing education and seminar attendance.  

Attention to details can make an enormous difference in compensation for serious injury and wrongful death cases. That is the difference Brown Law Office brings to a Personal Injury case.

Please contact us if you are concerned about an accident with serious injuries.

Nursing Home Negligence - intake of Nursing home claims currently suspended: April 2022

If your parent or loved one is not receiving adequate care in a facility purportedly operating for the sole purpose of caring for the elderly and disabled you should contact Brown Law. This is a specific kind of personal injury litigation that requires knowledge of acceptable standards for the care of the vulnerable. If a visit to meet with your loved one is necessary, please tell us and we would be happy to make those arrangements.  

Wills & Estates

Everyone should have a Will. A Will is a legal document that describes how you want your property and belongings to be disposed of when you die. It tells the world “who gets what.” The people you give your belongings to are called beneficiaries. It is a bit more complicated than jotting down some notes on a piece of paper, and there are all sorts of rules and laws to follow, but that’s it in simple terms.

There are different types of Wills, and there are certain requirements that must be met to make your Will valid. Although you do not need a lawyer to make a Will, it is a good idea for you to get the advice of a lawyer to make sure that your Will complies with the law. It is too late to make a Will once something bad happens; none of us plan for that.

You will also want to name a guardian in your Will to ensure that your children will be raised by the person you have selected should something happen to you. If you have close family that you believe should not raise your children it is important to get that in writing.  

Of equal importance, if you are young, you should have a Power of Attorney. This gives another person (Attorney) the ability to manage your affairs if you are incapacitated. If you travel extensively you may want your spouse to be able to talk to the bank or credit card company on your behalf if you are not here. A Power of Attorney for Heath can provide instructions for your Attorney such as Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) or confirm that you wish to have organs donated should you pass away. The greatest gift you can give your family is ensuring that should “the worst” occur they don’t also have to petition the court for the right to manage your affairs or estate.

Our fees are reasonable and provide you and your family with the confidence that there is a mechanism in place to deal with a worst case scenario.

Protect Your Estate!

What Happens if you die without a will? Special laws, called “intestacy” laws, determine who gets your worldly belongings. In Ontario it is determined by application by family members to the Court and their relationship to the deceased in accordance with the Table of Consanguinity (how closely they are related to the deceased). If your intended beneficiary is not related to you and you have no family your assets will be seized by the Province of Ontario through the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee. Your wishes and desires will not be considered if you don’t put them on paper!

Estate Law

If you have any assets when you die it becomes the job of your executor to call in those assets and distribute them in accordance with your wishes. Often the executors first step is to quantify any assets and debts and then apply to the court for a Certificate of Appointment With a Will. This is commonly referred to as Probate. Joint assets generally fall to the survivor so are not included as an asset of the deceased. Obtaining Probate from the court can takes weeks (Oshawa Court) to months (Toronto Court) and is more complicated, time consuming and expensive if the deceased died intestate.

Contact the Brown Law Office today for a consultation regarding your estate Planning or Executor duty needs.

Disability Claims

Insurance companies as a matter of course decline many claims that are not straightforward. This is due to the high rate of people who will accept a no and take no further steps. Statistics show that this is one in four. This means that 25% of disability claims just go away because the disabled person did not get a lawyer. If your doctor tells you should be off work but your insurance company disagrees, it is time to make an appointment for a free consultation. Don’t let concern about legal fees stop you from finding out what steps can be taken to have your disability benefits approved.  If we believe that we can prove your claim we will make arrangements with you regarding fees.  

Civil Disputes

Disputes between people that do not include personal injury that cannot be resolved without the assistance of a lawyer and the courts are generically referred to as civil disputes. This could be collection on a loan that is in default or enforcing a contract that has not been honoured. The first thing that a lawyer needs in order to correct this situation is documentation of the terms of the agreement the parties had.