11 Things You Need to Know About Asbestos Claims and the Alberta Worker's Compensation Board
- You are required to apply for WCB if you believe you were exposed to asbestos through your employment. An action against an employer or a third party is not permitted. See an excerpt of the applicable legislation here.
- 92.63% of Alberta workers are covered by WCB as all contract and part time employees are included. This is the highest percentage of worker coverage by province in Canada.
- The maximum amount paid to a worker, former or current, suffering from mesothelioma is just over $102,000 for 2023. This is called a non-economic loss payment (NERP) and is not contingent on earnings.
- If a worker is entitled to a non-economic loss, their spouse is also entitled to a fatality award if the percentage and amount awarded previously was less than 100%. There are also benefits payable to spouses and depended children if the injured person was a wage earner at the time of diagnosis.
- Medical expenses and home care costs are covered if deemed necessary by the Compensation Board. The WCB adjuster must approve costs of care in advance.
- No loss of earnings benefits are paid after age 65. If you were diagnosed while working after age 65 benefits are paid for a maximum of five years. IF entitlement to wage loss benefits is granted coverage is 90%. The maximum earning for this formula is currently just over $92,000.00.
- If you require hospitalization, WCB Alberta will only pay the ward room rate. If you want a semi-private or private room, those costs will be your responsibility.
- Grief Counselling is available to spouses and dependent children for up to 24 months.
- Funeral and Burial expenses will be covered by WCB to a maximum of $16,900.00 as well as an initial lump sum payment in the amount of $2,457.50 to cover incidentals. If transportation of the body to the place of burial is required, that expense will be covered if pre-approved.
- If you believe that a decision made by WCB is wrong and you wish to seek reconsideration, you have a one-year time limit to do so.
- And finally, any benefits paid by WCB Alberta are non-taxable.
If someone you love has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma and you are seeking more information, please contact us. We will get back to you regardless of office hours.